WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump signaled Tuesday that he is stepping back from the Thursday deadline he previously set for Ukraine to accept a U.S.-backed peace proposal, saying he is in no rush as long as progress continues.
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One en route to Florida for the Thanksgiving holiday, Trump said negotiations between Washington, Moscow, and Kyiv were “moving along,” and claimed Russia had already offered unspecified concessions.
“The deadline for me is when it’s over,” Trump said. “We want an agreement as soon as possible, but there’s no firm date.”
U.S. Framework Sparks Unease in Kyiv and Europe
News of the U.S.-drafted peace framework — first reported last week — alarmed Ukrainian officials and European allies who fear Washington may push Kyiv toward a deal weighted heavily in Russia’s favor.
The plan reportedly includes significant territorial concessions and security limits for Ukraine, including restrictions on troop numbers and NATO membership — provisions that echo some of Russia’s strongest demands.
Envoys Prepare High-Level Trips to Moscow
Trump confirmed that his special envoy, Steve Witkoff, will travel to Moscow soon to meet directly with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
He also said Jared Kushner, one of the architects behind the U.S.-brokered Gaza ceasefire, is involved in the Ukraine discussions.
Trump’s acknowledgment follows a Bloomberg News report detailing an October 14 call between Witkoff and Putin adviser Yuri Ushakov. According to Bloomberg, Witkoff encouraged Russia to work jointly with Trump on a Ukraine ceasefire concept and suggested raising the plan during Putin’s next direct interaction with Trump.
Trump said he had not heard the recording referenced by Bloomberg but added that the strategy sounded predictable.
“That’s what a dealmaker does,” Trump said. “I imagine he’s saying the same thing to Ukraine.”
Trump: Russia Has the Advantage on the Battlefield
Trump reiterated his view that Russia currently holds the upper hand militarily and warned that delaying talks could worsen Ukraine’s position.
Some Ukrainian territory “might be taken by Russia anyway,” he said, predicting potential losses “over the next couple of months.”
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has repeatedly argued that no peace deal should reward Russian aggression or sacrifice Ukrainian sovereignty. Kyiv has not commented on Trump’s latest remarks.
Security Guarantees Under Discussion
Trump said discussions are underway with European partners on long-term security guarantees for Ukraine, though he did not specify which countries are involved or what form such assurances might take.
As negotiations evolve, Ukraine’s allies remain concerned that the U.S. approach could reshape the trajectory of the war — and the balance of power in Europe — for years to come.
