The United States has imposed new 50% tariffs on selected Canadian goods after last-minute trade negotiations between Washington and Ottawa failed to produce an agreement.
The tariffs took effect shortly after midnight Saturday and cover roughly $20 billion worth of Canadian imports, according to the supplied material.
The move represents a fresh escalation in trade tensions between President Donald Trump and Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney and could make broader negotiations over the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement more difficult.
Canada Suspends Trade Negotiations
Carney announced that Canada was suspending trade negotiations with the United States following the breakdown.
He instructed Canadian negotiators to return to Ottawa, arguing that the final US proposals contained terms that were unfair and economically damaging.
Carney said Canadian officials had continued negotiating in good faith but believed last-minute changes from Washington undermined the possibility of reaching a reliable agreement.
Canada has also promised to respond to the new American tariffs with measures on a “dollar for dollar” basis.
The announcement signals that Ottawa is preparing to match the economic impact of the new US duties rather than accept Washington’s terms without retaliation.
US Says Canada Walked Away From Deal
The Trump administration offered a sharply different explanation for the collapse of negotiations.
US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Canada had declined to finalize an agreement based on terms that had reportedly been discussed earlier in the week.
Greer described the development as a missed opportunity for Canada to strengthen its economic relationship with the United States.
A senior Trump administration official said the US proposal would have given Canada one of the most favorable tariff positions available to major exporters selling into the American market.
According to the official, however, Canada continued seeking additional concessions involving industries including steel, aluminum, automobiles and softwood lumber.
Tariffs Target Around $20 Billion in Canadian Goods
The new 50% tariffs cover a relatively small portion of Canada’s exports to the United States, representing slightly more than 5% of Canadian shipments to its southern neighbor.
Affected products include a range of goods that do not receive preferential treatment under the USMCA.
Potentially vulnerable sectors include lumber, wine, dairy products, clothing, furniture, fishing equipment, cement and hockey-related products.
Although the tariffs do not cover the majority of Canadian exports, trade experts have warned that individual industries could face significant damage.
Higher costs could put pressure on companies that depend heavily on the US market, potentially resulting in reduced production, job losses or business closures.
Steel, Autos and Aluminum Remain Major Disputes
The latest tariffs come on top of existing US duties affecting major Canadian industries.
Steel, lumber and automobiles have already faced significant trade pressure during the past 18 months.
Earlier negotiations had reportedly focused on reducing some of those tariffs, including duties affecting Canadian vehicles.
The two countries had appeared close to an agreement that could have lowered tariffs on steel, aluminum and automobiles and potentially allowed American alcoholic beverages to return to Canadian liquor stores.
Those discussions ultimately failed to produce a final deal.
Trade War Could Complicate USMCA Talks
The latest escalation could have consequences beyond the immediate tariff dispute.
Washington and Ottawa are also facing broader discussions over the future of the USMCA, the trade agreement connecting the United States, Canada and Mexico.
The new tariffs could make those negotiations more difficult by increasing tensions between the two governments.
Canada is one of America’s largest trading partners, and businesses on both sides of the border rely heavily on integrated supply chains.
Automakers, manufacturers, agricultural producers and retailers can be particularly sensitive to tariff increases because components and products frequently cross the border multiple times before reaching consumers.
Carney Takes Harder Line Against Trump
Carney has positioned himself as a strong defender of Canadian economic interests during the dispute with Trump.
His decision to suspend negotiations and promise dollar-for-dollar retaliation suggests Ottawa is prepared to take a tougher position following the collapse of the latest talks.
The Canadian government had reportedly kept multiple options available if the new US tariffs took effect, including financial support for affected domestic industries.
The latest measures could therefore lead to a broader cycle of tariffs and counter-tariffs between the two countries.
No New Talks Immediately Scheduled
US officials said no additional negotiations were scheduled as the new tariffs came into effect.
That leaves businesses facing greater uncertainty over how long the duties will remain in place and whether Washington and Ottawa can return to the negotiating table.
The dispute follows three days of talks in Washington involving Canadian Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Greer.
With the latest discussions ending without an agreement, Canadian exporters and American businesses that depend on Canadian products are now preparing for the financial impact of the new 50% tariffs.
The immediate focus will be on Canada’s promised retaliation and whether the two governments can eventually restart negotiations before the trade dispute expands into a wider confrontation.
